Wednesday, June 28, 2006

in search of janet cardiff

I've been trying to figure out where installation and sound artist Janet Cardiff lives and works. For an internationally acclaimed artist, she doesn't seem to have a homepage. Get online woman! I'm trying to find out where the artists/professionals I most admire work/teach (hopefully) so I can apprentice myself to them somehow (assuming I'm worthy). Or at least hear them lecture.

After extensive googling I found a bio stating that Cardiff lives Lethbridge, Alberta of all places! What the crap? She appears on the University of Lethbridge's Dept of Art roster as an Adjunct Professor, but I know what that means: York has had Michael Ondaatje listed as an adjunct for the Glendon campus for years....
A visit to her representing gallery Luhring Augustin NYC tells me she and her partner George Bures Miller currently live and work in Berlin. Of course they do.
And to think I believed for even an instant I'd find Cardiff so ridiculously within reach, in Alberta.....

Cardiff is a sound artist that activates entire galleries and neighborhoods for the audience. I have experienced her pieces Whispering Room, The Paradise Institute (pictured below), and her murder-mystery audio walk presented at the Musee d'art contemporain in Montreal last summer. I've never before encountered an artist who so completely grasps the relation of sound to environment and memory. I'll let Atom explain.....



Atom Egoyan's article on Cardiff

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 10:31 PM, Blogger Eve said...

I am similarly obsessed with Janet Cardiff. I also saw her exhibition at the ICA in Montreal, and also her audio tour through London's East End. I sooooo want to find more of her work, and have been frustrated by her lack of online presence.

Let me know if you find anything! I've added your blog to my blogroll, so I can do the same.

Eve

 
At 1:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you know that Janet Cardiff has a video installation exhibiting
in Hamilton right now.Maybe Martha could check it out!
Susan

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Arty Povera said...

whew, you've been doing some homework! Thanks mum.
xo mt

 

Post a Comment

<< Home