Wednesday, August 23, 2006

jaunt



Well I'm off for a self-invented long-weekend. It was supposed to be my reward for having figured out exactly what I'm doing with my thesis.... That didn't quite work out, but I get to go anyway. A pre-reward for the work I'll do upon my return. uh huh.

First stop: Banff. Hot springs, hiking, and most importantly, the Banff Centre. Friday is open house day for the Visual Arts, and all summer-residencies are showing their work. Synchronistically, my search for Janet Cardiff lead me here. Her collaboration with George Bures Miller "Forest Walk/House Fire" is currently mounted at the Walter Phillips. The description is unclear, but I'm hoping for another hand-held camera/tour experience.

Then Saturday I'm on to Calgary, where through another bout of synchronicity filling station is hosting the second "Calgary Blow-Out", a who's-who roster of spoken word and sound poetry performances (I know, sounds like a blast right? quite).



Performing Saturday evening:
Paul Kennett
Jane Grove
Christian Bök
Neil Scott
(break, featuring short films by emerging Canadian directors)
Jason Christie
Nikki Reimer
Jessica Grant

Sweet! I'm hoping to be so inspired be the lush beauty of Banff, the multi-disciplinary creativity of Cardiff +Miller, and the intellect of the poetry that my thesis plans will fall perfectly into place.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home