Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Teddy bear teacher pardoned, what about everyone else?


Gillian Gibbons, the British woman teaching in the Sudan who was sentenced to 40 lashes or 6 months in prison for allowing children in her class to name a teddy bear "Muhammad", has returned home to London:

"I'm just an ordinary middle-aged primary school teacher. I went out there to have an adventure, and got a bit more than I bargained for... "I don't think anyone could have imagined it would snowball like this."*

More than she bargained for? That's extremely generous of her.

Due to her Western privilege and connections, she has been able to leave, having served 15 days of jail-time. I'm thrilled that she will not be punished further, but I can't help think of all the other women in Islamic and Islamist states who are awaiting corporal punishment for their perceived "crimes".

*See Toronto Star's Teacher Safely Home After Teddy Bear Controversy



Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home