Friday, February 02, 2007

stymied styrofoam


I just wrote the NDP a note through their website, and suggested that since they are proposing bans on ATM charges, could they also propose a ban on styrofoam and plastic fast food containers (unrelated issues, but both ban something). Customers can bring their own re-usable containers, or, at the very least, only recycled paper products should be permitted to be used by fast food chains.

Imagine the savings, both economic and environmental: not producing the wasteful material in the first place; a reduction in garbage removal and dump space; a reduction in litter and clean-up costs (since most litter is fast food junk).

I know this is a hard sell, as bringing a plate with you kind of ruins the purpose of fast food. Perhaps there can be an incentive at first: a discount for those who bring their own container (i.e. how "No Frills" charges you extra if you want to carry your groceries in a plastic bag).

So, I thought of the idea because I was visiting David Suzuki's site, where he's promoting his "If I were Prime Minister" tour. He is asking people to submit 20sec videos through youtube in which they describe what measures they would take as PM to protect/clean-up the environment.

I think it would be righteous and hilarious if Jack Layton submitted a video. In fact, I told him so in my e-mail. Let's wait and see.......



Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home